Friday, January 1, 2010

For the New Year

My Gentle Giants
Ira Smith

My colony of majestic oaks, graceful limbs
reaching upward, filling assigned spaces,
canopy of green and grey distributed evenly,
hands waving in gentle breeze
creating peaceful community.

Have you ever hugged a gentle giant?
Have you ever pressed your cheek and ear
against its scratchy hide,
waiting for whispers about times long past?

No longer on a leash, my child is released,
nobody but God watching,
he smiles when I hug a tree or
lie on my belly to smooch a lady slipper.
Holistic healing – cultivated mix of
curiosity, playfulness, humor.

On mountain summit or at ocean shore, I stand in awe.
Among my gentle friends, I stand in awe,
never tire of looking overhead, countless windows
of sunlit blue in day and starlit black at night,
faith nurturing as any sanctuary.


by Ira Smith © 2009

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Nature comes home to one most when he is at home;
the stranger and traveler finds her a stranger and traveler
also. One’s own landscape comes in time to be a sort of
outlying part of himself; he has sowed himself broadcast
upon it, and it reflects his own moods and feelings; he is
sensitive to the verge on the horizon: cut those trees, he
bleeds; mar those hills, and he suffers.”


from Signs and Seasons
— John Burroughs

2 comments:

  1. Ira, I loved this piece. I like the way you pulled the reader in by asking questions. (Yes I have!) The visual pictures are wonderful.. . to smooch a lady slipper. The sacred in nature - how it feeds you - and all of us. Beautiful writing, Ira. Thank you.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. It resonated deeply!! Thank you, Ira!

    ReplyDelete