Friday, December 10, 2010

Treat Yourself to Flannery O'Connor

• All my stories are about the action of grace on a character who is not very willing to support it, but most people think of these stories as hard, hopeless and brutal.


Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.

I am a writer because writing is the thing I do best.

I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I'm afraid it will not be controversial.

I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one.
( I'll say Amen to that)

It seems that the fiction writer has a revolting attachment to the poor, for even when he writes about the rich, he is more concerned with what they lack than with what they have.

• The basis of art is truth, both in matter and in mode.

• The writer can choose what he writes about but he cannot choose what he is able to make live.

• The writer operates at a peculiar crossroads where time and place and eternity somehow meet. His problem is to find that location.

The writer should never be ashamed of staring. There is nothing that does not require his attention.

• Writing a novel is a terrible experience, during which the hair often falls out and the teeth decay.

• Art never responds to the wish to make it democratic; it is not for everybody; it is only for those who are willing to undergo the effort needed to understand it.

• People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.

• A story is a way to say something that can’t be said any other way, and it takes every word in the story to say what the meaning is.

• I write to discover what I know.

• Fiction is about everything human and we are made out of dust, and if you scorn getting yourself dusty, then you shouldn't try to write fiction. It's not a grand enough job for you.

'read click the books



No comments:

Post a Comment