Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The past tense masquerades in a number of guises, some rather confusing.
From Daily Writing Tips 9 Forms of the Past Tense

One of my favorite grammar books: The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed by Karen Elizabeth Gordan
wrote some wonderful sentences for the past tense.

Past Tense
I moped for five days straight without touching my gruel.


Past Progressive Tense ( action going on in a previous time)
I was just minding my own business when the samovar suddenly blew up.


Past Perfect Progressive Tense( ongoing action completed before another past time)
I had been moping.


Past Perfect Tense( action completed before another time)
She had never pondered anything besides her fingernails before she met the troll.


As the pundits say--stay in the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment