Tuesday, February 14, 2012

From the Pen of E.B.White

Marcia sent these quotes:

Commas in The New Yorker fall with the precision of knives in a circus act, outlining the victim.
E. B. White

Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar.
E. B. White

“Semi-colons only prove that the author has been to college.”
― E.B. White

“I have yet to see a piece of writing, political or non-political, that does not have a slant. All writing slants the way a writer leans, and no man is born perpendicular.”
― E.B. White

“A poet dares be just so clear and no clearer... He unzips the veil from beauty, but does not remove it. A poet utterly clear is a trifle glaring.”
― E.B. White

3 comments:

  1. The E.B White? The man who writes, (and I'll paraphrase, since it's late), when you feel sad, learn something. Learn what … oh dear, I had memorized the whole paragraph.

    I don't think he used a semicolon. Now I want to check. I like these quotes; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His last quote really reached me. Thanks!

    ra

    ReplyDelete